Thursday 20 February 2014

Grid Tied power loss issues solved by SMA

Did you know that if you are grid tied and the power goes out, you also won't have power?  Seems silly when you have your own solar array, but it's true.

Now, I was pretty sure I saw solutions for this before, that essentially switched you over, but maybe I was mistaken, or maybe they were just really expensive "work arounds".  Either way, SMA America has also solved this issue with their new product, the Sunny Boy TL-US inverter

This is exactly what I would like to have.  Some mortgages won't let you go off grid and though I don't know what my mortgage will ask, it's safer to just go grid tied.  I just didn't want this disadvantage to come with it!

2 comments:

  1. The nice thing is when building one can put in the hook ups to allow one to go off grid. No one will say anything if you put in a transfer switch for future ability to go to solar.

    One thing many seem to forget is that going with solar water heating is very efficient way to reduce demand for electric or gas to heat your water. I am looking towards 1500 gallon tank to store heated water which can supplement house heating and a continuous source of hot water for bathing and the kitchen.. At 20 gallons a day for those two items the water will go a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever start your home?

    ReplyDelete