Sunday 10 March 2013

More info from the architect

The architect wrote me back again and offered some additional advice, which was really kind of him. He looked at the drawings I made for my plans and told me some things that would work and not work.

First he mentioned that the wall that separates the rooms from the "greenhouse" portion of the Earthship was actually a no-no.

Apparently Michael Reynolds can do this in NM, but we cannot. It doesn't meet US and Canadian building codes for egress. This disappointed me, but I don't mind playing with floor planner, so I redid the drawings.


This will probably change a dozen more times, but the bedroom now complies with egress.  I'm still up in the air about closing off the two middle rooms.  My husband really wants to close off the living room at least, because we have a parrot, and she can be really loud.  That fish tank looking thing is actually the size of her future habitat.  The exercise/office room can be used as a spare room, but I don't want to label it that or I might have to make it fit egress code as well. All the same, if we have guests, I think they want privacy.

I also did this plan as an alternative:


It is longer and narrower. Same sqftage, which is 1650 or so.

I still see people doing the green house style plans, but code is code and I really don't need more road blocks dropped in front of me.

Oh and you will notice that I'm doing the rounded back walls.  He recommended them over the straight walls.  I can't pour cement, and I'd have to hire someone to pour it, so the round walls will save me money.  They will just take additional tires.

4 comments:

  1. HI Kristen - I read that your architect said that closing off the main space from the greenhouse wouldn't meet codes in Canada. Kris and I got permitted for our global model Earthship build in Manitoba. As you know, this style does have that same separation between spaces via glass. The building and planning division approved out plans - they treated the greenhouse like it was exterior space to meet the codes around egress - with that and changing locations of our windows it was not a problem. I'd talk with your local building and planning group before making a decision. If they did it in Manitoba - why not elsewhere in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of wondering how you folks were able to do that. I will definitely have a talk with the local building and planning group before paying for the plans. I swear I've done a dozen different designs, but it's kind of fun. Thanks for letting me know! That gives me more options!

      Delete
  2. wow! this is so exciting! I can understand the stress as well.. ive been doing alota reaserch about these and im so set on building one as most of my life ive done house construction renovations and interior design so it would b such an adventure to go right outside the box and the idea of having my own garden right in my livingroom keeps the hope alive! ha! i would love to see pictures? I would really love if I could come check it out to see an actual earthship in real life ..but really it would b fucking awesome! lol either way thanx for the information and helping me feel more closer to my dream! 😆

    lisa lindsay
    charmiesgirl@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this is so exciting! I can understand the stress as well.. ive been doing alota reaserch about these and im so set on building one as most of my life ive done house construction renovations and interior design so it would b such an adventure to go right outside the box and the idea of having my own garden right in my livingroom keeps the hope alive! ha! i would love to see pictures? I would really love if I could come check it out to see an actual earthship in real life ..but really it would b fucking awesome! lol either way thanx for the information and helping me feel more closer to my dream! 😆

    lisa lindsay
    charmiesgirl@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete